I currently rent a room in a house full of women in South Denver.
Today I bought some frozen pillsbury southern style biscuits, ones that taste closest to my own homemade biscuits made from scratch, —that is when I get up the nerve to gather raw ingredients and do all “dirty work” involved in making biscuits. Along with them, I bought Bonne Maman Strawberry preserves and ordered clotted cream. Phew. It felt good to finally do something that takes me right back, front and center stage, to the living room of my tiny apartment in San Antonio, Texas where God would move so much, and the aroma of all things home permeated my apartment.
Recipe Here: https://jesus-and-tea.com/recipes/2/
It was where I hosted girlfriends, shepherding them directly to the heart of God, which I believe to be healing, and enjoyed piping hot cups of tea with a side of buttery biscuits or scones and preserves.
Tea, as it happens, is actually so inexpensive to host with. It goes a long way, feels like home, and has healing properties. There is nothing better in my opinion to accompany a cup of tea than a biscuit or a scone. Both are so subtle in nature, only inviting you to have as much or as little as you need at a time. “Come home”, they whisper. “But only when you’re ready.”
Instead of having had to make my way home, home came to me in the form of these biscuits. It is hard for me to fathom what a sacred act I made of eating and serving biscuits and tea. What a sacred place I made of my home throughout the series of conversations in which God made himself real to my friends and I. I still thirst endlessly for intimate moments like those again, and for genuine encounters with God.
This is all significant because it has been difficult making Denver home again. I’ve moved to several different properties and experienced a host of changes since arriving here in July 2020. I’ve fought tooth and nail to create home everywhere I’ve gone, and most things have not come close to what I created over the years in San Antonio. Yet God, in his perfect timing, and by his grace alone allowed me to stumble upon these biscuits at my local grocer, and to be thus brought mysteriously home into the sacredness of a tradition I created: Biscuits and Tea.
Creating Deepest Fellowship
I believe most ardently that there is a profound sacredness in breaking bread together. We even see so in the way that Christ blesses us in partaking in the Eucharist (the blood and the body of Christ). As it written in the gospel according to Saint Luke: “And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them saying ‘This is my body; do this in remembrance of me. (Luke 22:19-20)” He could have asked them to do anything in remembrance of him, but he asked them to break bread and drink wine, which I believe knit them together in deepest fellowship.
So friend, I invite you to open up your home more often and to serve something that will warm souls and inspire people to draw near to Jesus. It can be anything from a loaf of bread, to a tray of fruit, but serve! Open your heart and home, and you will find that Jesus makes himself known profusely among you.
Support Jesus & Tea:
“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
Too often have I neglected to write because I was stuck in my logical mind. I’ve found myself entangled in the futility of seeking answers and explanations: “Why is everything this way? Why is it that way?” I find myself asking.
When instead I need only to dip my toes in the stream, get my feet wet and become completely engrossed in what God is doing. Life is a stream. It is flowing into a greater existence that I call “The heart of God.” We need only to stay in the flow. How simple is that really?
We need to remember to breath and return to the elementary principles of just existing in gratitude. This stream called life flows seamlessly on, whether or not I am flowing with, and I do not wish to miss a glimmer of its beauty.
Flowing Vs. Forcing
I am naturally a rule follower…a religious person. However, instead of fiddling around with rigid religious principles I’ve challenged myself to look up and remember that God is smiling at me through the clouds and embracing me in the wind. I’ve challenged myself to remember that Christ is expressing himself through all this beauty. He is not doctrine. He is freedom. I do not need to brainwash myself with principles. I need only to open.
And lo. The block is gone. My heart is open and I am free to return to my origin. I am completely emptied of everything and I yield myself entirely to my maker so that I may bleed his heart on paper. I was created to be inspired, not to have my voice suppressed by blockage.
This is how I write. And hopefully, this will be how I live.
To my readers,
I am wishing you ultimate freedom to create and be inspired.
Audio Recording of this post:
Yesterday my essential oil Basics Kit came in the mail from Revive Essential Oils. Revive oils are 100% therapeutic grade and can be used both topically and internally. These oils are non-synthetic and are distilled purely from plants, all over the world. Revive promises to use only the highest quality plants
In this post I will share information on each essential oil that comes in the Kit, as well as it’s benefits and uses. All information provided comes from the Revive website.
- Immune Boosting
- Diffuses 3-4 drops in your diffuser 1 hour before bed to help you go to sleep.
- Can be used for skin to heal cracked hands/feet
- Digestive Aid
- Supports healthy lungs
- Take a vegetable capsule with a drip of peppermint oils to relieve an upset stomach
- Mix a drop of peppermint oil with honey in a glass of water to create mouthwash for a fresh minty breath
- Diffuse to encourage an uplifting and stimulating feeling
- Cleans surfaces
- Purifies air
- Boosts immunity
- Add a drop of Immunity Boost and a spoonful of raw honey to a warm cup of water to boost your immune system
- Diffuse it around the house to neutralize strong odors
- Diffuse 6-8 drops to help create a cozy peaceful environment
- When diffused, it is said to smell like fresh baked cookies.
- Add a few drops to dishwater or dishwasher to illuminate odors
- Mix with water and use to wipe down surfaces
- Promote calming feelings for the body and mind
- Settle the body and mind before bed by promoting calm feelings of security and balance
- Diffuses 3-4 drops near your bed to create a relaxing environment as you head to sleep
- To promote relaxing sleep massage 1-2 drops in a carrier oil ( I use coconut oil) on the bottom of your feet
- To boost the quality of your sleep, create a spray bottle of water with a few rips of sleep and spritz all over your bed and pillows.
- Boosts feelings of clear airways to ease breathing
- Supports a restful nights sleep
- Minimizes the effects of seasonal threats [such as cold or flu]
- When the weather runs changing and the risk of health is high, diffuse 2-3 drops of Breath Air.
- Diffuse in the bedroom for a restful nights sleep
- Mix a drop with a teaspoon of carrier oil and rub on chest, back, and neck to clear nasal passages and support lung function
- Cleanses and purifies air and surfaces
- Has an energizing aroma
- Start your day by drinking a warm glass of water with a drop of lemon and a little honey added to help flush out the toxins
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle and use it to clean surfaces
- Diffuse in a room to purify and freshen the air
Get your own basics Kit!! 👇🏾👇🏾