What Do I Do When Someone I Know Tells Me They Are Suicidal?
I am not a licensed psychologist, but I can say that I’ve had plenty of these conversations, where I disclose my suicide plans. I know what can be successful and what is absolutely not useful or appropriate to say.
- Express your grief. Explain how you will miss them, and how much. Explain that you are afraid.
- Stay away from trying to rationalize them out of making the decision. They are not in their rational mind, so listing pros and cons to death mean absolutely nothing.
- Call for help, but you do not necessarily have to tell them that you are doing so. Allow them to vulnerably trust you. You do not owe it to them to tell how you are crying for help. That is personal to you.
- Release guilt. Nothing is your fault. They are sick, and potentially fatally depressed. You did nothing.
- Accept it. You cannot change the choice they make. You can show your love and pray. You can call for help, but you too deserve love care and knowing that you are worthy and have done enough!